Radio host, David Naimon, (of KBOO FM/Portland) does an excellent job of asking guest, John Leifer, pivotally important questions regarding issues facing recently diagnosed cancer patients and their loved ones.
Among the many topics covered in this 30 minute interview are:
- How to evaluate and select a physician
- How to know whether you are receiving the appropriate treatment for your condition
- When to obtain a second opinion
- The importance of understanding the goals of your treatment
- Differentiating between cure, control, and comfort in cancer treatment
- Unexplained geographic variations in care, and what they can mean to your treatment
- Financial issues associated with treatment and how to manage the challenges
- Identifying if your physician has a financial conflict of interest associated with your treatment…and what this can be mean to your care
- The role of nutrition and exercise during the journey through cancer
- The role of complementary medicine in cancer treatment
- How to obtain more information about your disease and its treatment
The interview came about due to the publication of Leifer’s new book, After You Hear It’s Cancer: A Guide to Navigating the Difficult Journey Ahead, written collaboratively with his wife, Lori, a radiation oncologist in practice for 25+ years.
John has spent 30 years immersed in the health care industry as a health care executive, consultant, academician, and author.
In addition to their formal training, John and Lori also bring the perspective of patient and caregiver (Dr. Leifer is a cancer survivor)
Here’s a link to the podcast: https://kboo.fm/afteryouhearitscancerbyjohnleifer
Here is a link to the book’s web-site: